Thursday 5 May 2011

Red Quinoa and Mushroom Pilaf

Quinoa is everywhere - since when did grains become trends? I keep reading about it - and even read that it was pronounced "keen-wa"although I kinda didn't believe it until my gorgeous friend Yas used it in a sentence over the weekend.

So when I saw some red quinoa in Woolies I snatched it up - and I went to Martha for a recipe. I found her recipe for Red Quinoa and Mushroom Pilaf - find it here.

Here's Martha's photo...


Here's me washing the red quinoa - apparently its a very important step as it's covered with something called saponin which is quite bitter.


Here's me cooking up the quinoa with the mushrooms and shallots - choose a saucepan that you have a lid for because it needs to be covered and allowed to simmer.


And here's my finished dish - it was incredibly tasty - I loved the orange pieces with the dill and it's totally made me want to use more citrus in savoury dishes.


2 comments:

  1. Looks divine!! I haven't heard of red quinoa. My family loves it - well - perhaps that's an exaggeration - but they certainly like it better than couscous which I think they find a bit pretentious. Did you know that you can cook quinoa in the rice cooker? That's how I cook it. I've only been able to find it in health foods shops previously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Quinoa has made it's way to Woolies! Love! I guess it's because of the coeliac/gluten allergy epdemic we seem to be in (in Australia)... :(
    P.s. I also heard Yas call it Keen-waa on the weekend and was like 'oh so that IS how you say it!' Haha, ah Yas our language guru.
    P.p.s Citrus garnish looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...