Sunday 27 March 2011

What is a Tchotchke anyway?

So since I've started this blog I've been made aware of the fact that maybe not everyone is as up on their Yiddish as I am.

What is a Tchotchke anyway?

Well according to Wikipedia (and when have they ever failed me?)...

Tchotchke (Typically pronounced "CHACH-kee") are small toys, gegaws, knickknacks, baubles, lagniappes, trinkets, or kitsch. The term has a connotation of worthlessness or disposability, as well as tackiness, and has long been used by Jewish-Americans and in the regional speech of New York City.

I have a soft spot for retro ceramic tchotchkes - these guys are a few favourites of mine.



2 comments:

  1. ahhh I've been saying it wrong as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rabbit exactly the same as the one above.. does yours have a fluffy white tail?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...