Monday 14 March 2011

Sticky Date Puddings with Balsamic Caramel Sauce


My go-to easy peasy dessert is Sticky Date Pudding - so when I was up for making dessert for 17 people at a BBQ on the weekend - I knew what I'd be baking.

I have to give full credit to my auntie for this one - she made these one Christmas and I was hooked - I had to have the recipe. So I give you...

Zia Lia's Sticky Date Puddings with Balsamic Caramel Sauce

Puddings

185g dates, pitted
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
60g unsalted butter at room temperature
185g caster sugar
2 large eggs
185g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Balsamic Caramel Sauce

75 g soft brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons cream
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Puddings

Combine dates in a pan with 300ml water, bring to a boil. Remove from hear, stir in bi carb soda and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one, beating well each time. Fold in flour with a large metal spoon, stir in date mixture and vanilla, and pour into large muffin tins.



Bake in a 160C oven for 25 mins, or until cooked when tested with a skewer.


Sauce

Combine sugar and butter in a pan and stir over low heat until melted. Add cream and vinegar, bring to boil, remove from heat and serve warm.

This version of the recipe usually makes 12 muffins, but I doubled it to feed the masses.

If you've made extra - they freeze really well and are handy to have around when you need an emergency dessert. And let's face it - who hasn't had an emergency dessert situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...