Sunday 29 May 2011

Cheat's Moussaka

Here's another good hearty winter dinner recipe I picked up from this month's Real Living - Cheat's Moussaka

 via Real Living
My darling Yiayia would turn in her grave if she knew I was taking shortcuts making Moussaka - but hey if it means I can eat it more often I figure its worth it.

The "cheat" is that the bechamel sauce is actually made up of greek yoghurt, fetta cheese and egg.


I love me some fetta but I have to admit I was hesitant to how this would turn out.

Here's my lamb mince and sauce simmering away.


And to cut down the washing up I used the same pan for the eggplants.


The layering begins..


And here's the yoghurt/fetta sauce on the top layer with a sprinkle of parmesan.


And 30 minutes later - Hello golden brown deliciousness!


It was pretty tasty - definitely not as creamy as a true bechamel but certainly way quicker to make. I guess the yoghurt/fetta combo could possibly be more healthy also - but its probably a slighly more expensive option too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum - that looks delish. Who would have thought of that sauce?? Great tip I think I'll try this one next time I buy eggplant. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo i LOVE moussakka! yours looks divine. will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...