Wednesday 31 August 2011

Macaroon Syrup Cake with Candied Orange Slices

One of my colleagues had a birthday this week - so I put my hand up to make a cake for our office morning tea.


I put my own spin on a family favourite - my Mum's Macaroon Syrup cake. I'm not sure where she originally got the recipe from but she's been making it for years and it always turns out fantastically.

I followed her "cake" recipe component below

Cake Ingredients
125g butter
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
2 cups coconut
1 cup self raising flour

Grease ring pan or line base and sides with baking paper.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs one by one very well
Stir in coconut and sifted flour
Spread mixture in pan
Bake in 160C oven for about 45 mins



Now my Mum always uses tinned mandarin segments to decorate the top of the cake and utilises the "juice" to make the syrup, but I tweaked it a little and made candied orange slices and syrup instead.

Syrup Ingredients
2 oranges
1 cup caster sugar
3 cups water
1 lemon

Slice oranges into 5mm slices (I left the rind on)
Add 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 cup caster sugar to pan and heat until water boils and sugar dissolves
Add orange slices to pan, bring to boil and then turn down to simmer until the liquid reduces (approx 15 mins)
Remove slices from pan and place on sheet of baking paper
Add remaining 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup caster sugar to pan with two lemon wedges and simmer for 10 minutes






At this point remove the cake from the oven (do not remove from the tin), and pour the hot syrup over the hot cake. (Every time I do this I always think I have too much liquid and I'm going to drown the cake - but trust me, it soaks it up like a sponge.)


(Yes I made a mini cake in a ramekin for Mr Tchotchke)

Let the cake cool before you remove it from the tin. Arrange the candied orange slices around the top of the cake.


Yum - it's a relatively cheap and easy cake to make and always seems to impress people with how moist and delicious it is. If only our citrus trees started producing I'd be making it more often!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how did it go down with your colleagues?? I'd be pretty happy if you turned up at my workplace with that fabulous looking cake! I will have to give it a go - how do you think it would work with lime instead of orange? I have a lime tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think lime would be a great addition! Lime and coconut work well together - it would taste like a delicious cocktail :) I'm happy to say everyone at work loved it and I've been nominated to make the next birthday cake too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...