Sunday 20 February 2011

The Upholstered Bedhead Project

With a few days off over Christmas I tackled a project that's been on my to-do list for awhile - making an upholstered bedhead.


I've always loved the retro velved tufted ones - ala The Drapers, and even had a vintage red one hanging around from a shoot years ago, but it didn't quite fit the bill as I wanted to go for something lighter and fresher.






I immediately fell for the bedhead on the cover of the last edition of Ivy and Piper,






and with a quick brush up on my upholstery skills with Grace at DesignSponge I was on my way.


After spending considerably more time than I thought and a small fortune on upholstery tacks, the project was complete and I had my very own orange monstrosity to rest my head on.


 

I found my nice thick orange cotton at Ikea and said tacks at Spotlight. A potential tip to those about to embark on their own upholstery adventure is to ensure your foam filling isn't too thick - I had trouble getting some of the tacks to grip into the plywood backing and had to create a work around with tack heads glued over nails...

I'm in the middle of somewhat related project revamping some bedside tables, no more upholstery though thank goodness. (Although I do tend to have a short memory when it comes to decorating drama, I'm sure I'll be tackling a padded footstool or armchair again in no time..)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...